Thursday, October 11, 2012

'Who will take care of Peanut when I Die?"

The thought of having a child with Down Syndrome ...the first thing that crossed my mind was.."He will be bullied"."What will happen to my baby when I die? Who will take care of him?" The Pediatrician gave me the name and hospital a Geneticist is connected to for the Genetics Test to confirm his suspicion and know more about DS. We stayed in the hospital for 5 days...during that time I would visit P in the nursery morning and afternoon.I noticed that even with his eyes covered P would move and try to see me I can see the cloth on his eyes moving...without me saying anything ..just watching him he knew I was there...P is very intuitive. The 3rd day when I came to visit him I noticed his skin was red all over...he was puffy specially his cheeks.I called the nurse and asked to get the pediatrician..this was so frustrating...there were nurses in there but nobody saw what was happening to P.The nurse then told me it must be side effect of antibiotics he was taking.I told her stop giving it to him.She then told me pedia is coming to change the antibiotics.I told her tell the pedia I want P in the room with me for the rest of my stay in the hospital.They called and made all the arrangements..and P is finally in the same room with me.They call it rooming in. P knows who trully cares for him.Everytime nurses and doctors will come to check on him P would make a sound like he does not like them to touch him..so I told them to just ask the pedia to check on him and they did.That made P comfortable and happy ..he knows Mama is around to protect him. After 5 days of hospital stay we are finally on our way back home with my Peanut. In my mind I was planning on everything that has to be done and I am going to do a lot of research.

No comments:

Post a Comment